When we say that Jezero Sumbar is a big fish destination then we better tell you what stock is swimming around in the lake.
In its 15 years of its excistence the carp has grown to record sizes, the information we have recieved from the owner says that the lake boast around 1000 carp.
Of course not all of them are massive as natural re-production does take place so fish in the 10 kg bracket are being caught, but when you look at the top of the stock thats when you realize as a carpangler that this lake is special.
There is 2 fish over 40 kg , one the whole year the other depending on the season this is backed up by around 25 carp over 30 kg and a further 30 to 35 over 25 kg.
We cant tell you how many 20 kg fish are in the lake but there are many.
As you can see this is a truly awesome stock.
Apart from carp there are some grasscarp upto 40 kg and some catfish but they are not a problem.
Part of the natural diet is crayfish, but sofar they have not been a problem when we fished the lake ourself.
Jezero Sumbar has a surface of 25 hectare and is roughly rectangular in shape with several points and back-bays. There are 31 pegs from which a maximum of 16 will be fished at any given time, all of them can be reached by car which can be left parked behind youre swim. The swims are very spacious and can have the biggest bivvies
One of the big advantages of Sumbar is that all swims do produce fish and its very hard to determine what are the best swims.
The lake which is surrounded by a forrest has trees around most of the banks and reed fringed margins, around the whole lake a road can be found and the car can be parked next to your swim.
The bottom of the lake is formed from clay and gravel and can be challenging at times. Doing the work with the marker rod will soon reveal wht you got in front off you, when you make a reservation you will be supplied with a map of the lake with all the depths cleary marked.
There are some snags in the lake but not to bad. Fish safety is off-course very important to the owners and big unhooking mats can be rented at the lake which saves you space and smell on the way back.
Depending on the peg you fish there can be circumstances that you have to hit the horizon. In the trips where a team of Carping Adventures were fishing we caught fish from 5 feet of the bank upto 150 yards. so it is not necassery to hit the horizon. But it always is good when you can.
Despite the fact that the fish have been fished for the are still very strong and you could end up playing a carp for well over a hour.
As this is a real adventure we can help you out with all info necassery, we have fished it and know all ins and outs so you can come prepared to fish for one of the many big fish.
The facilities at the Sumbar are simple but clean, around the lake chemical toilets can be found. The shower can be found at the clubhouse, this is also the place where you can charge your batteries. There are NO bait or food freezers.
At five minutes from the lake you will find supermarkets and smaller shops , u can pay with a credit or debit card als a Atm machine can be found near the local supermarket this is where you get the local currency “Kuna”
For Austria and Slovenie you will need a tollvignet, these can be bought at the last gazstation in Germany or the first gasstation in Austria the cost is 16 euro for austria and 30 euro for Slovenie. A high Viz safety jacket has to be availeble to all who are travelling in the car.
As it is a long journey to come to the lake we have searched for a good accomodation for a stop-over the Hotel lies at the outskirts of Graz Austria a standard but good hotel, close to the hotel you will find the Harley davidson restaurant which serves a great meal. After a good night sleep the next morning it will take you 2,5 hour to reach your destination. For the hotel you can have a look at www.kernbuam.at
For many of us Croatia is a country which we dnot know much about apart from television or Internet from my own experience i can tell you that it is just as safe as France or Holland. The lake complex has a 24/7 bailiff on site watching over their and your property. Outside the complex i have found the Croatian people very friendly and the younger generation speaks good english.
We do advice al our customers to have a travel insurrance for both yourself and the car this can be obtained by your regular insurrance company.
Carp and Grass Carp Fishing at The Big Lake Šumbar
1. All carp and grass carp MUST be returned unharmed - CATCH & RELEASE ONLY
2. Swim borders lie in the middle between two anglers.
3. 3 rods maximum
4. No Zig Rigs
5. Use of boats and bait boats is not allowed. Special permission is required for filming with a Drone.
6. A minimum line thickness of 0.35 mm must be used. Braided line only on spod and marker rods. No shockleaders or leaders of any description. Maximum lead is 4oz / 120 grams.
7. Only barbless or microbarb hooks in sizes 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8. No longshank patterns.
8. Grass carp must not be retained at all. Only carp over 20kg / 44lb may be retained in a floating retainer. Please take your pictures as soon as possible. Carp sacks are not allowed.
9. When taking pictures, the fish must be placed over the unhooking mat. You must be kneeling or squatting down. You must not stand while taking pictures with the fish. Maximum allowed time for taking photos is 3 minutes (ask for help from the fishing Ranger if necessary).
10. ALL carp and grass carp over 20 KG must be returned using a weighing sling, not your landing net.
11. Do not leave rubbish or unused bait in your swim, particularly cigarette ends and bottle tops. Please use the bins provided for all line and food waste.
12. Please leave your swim by 12:00.
13. You must use unhooking mats at all times. 42" landing nets or bigger required and they must have knotless mesh. Use antiseptic on all hook marks and injuries.
14. Do not leave any rods unattended.
15. Rangers may make ticket, rig, line and bait checks.You will be asked to leave immediately if you break any of these rules.
16. No driving around the lake at night.
17. Please drive carefully around the site. The speed limit is 5km
18. If necessary parts of the lake may be closed and will be clearly marked.
19. Do not have any lights facing the lake, particularly car lights.
20. No open fires. You are only allowed to use a barbecue or stove.
21. You may wade 10 meters away from the bank.
22. Do not interfere with other anglers.
23. Do not hammer nails in the trees. Do not hang things in trees less than 4 meters high.